My "5 things" List

0

Written on 10:37 PM by Jack B.

Cole has passed on the baton to me about this little thing going around:
"List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can't really understand the fuss over. To use the words of Caesar (from History of the World Part I), 'Nice. Nice. Not thrilling . . . but nice.'"

So my take is this:

1) Bill Clinton - Yes despite the fact that I think he's a sleazy perjurer who'll say anything anyone wants him to say yet almost everybody I know loves the guy and think he's a good-hearted charming rascal who was persecuted by those meanie Republicans. That's why I don't like talking politics sometimes it seems I love in a bizarro world from all other New Yorkers I know (including my family).

2) Instant Messaging - The last thing I want to do when I sit down at the computer is to have one, two, three people instant messaging me nonsense and expect me to keep up a conversation with them in computer speak. Sorry, I can't type (let alone) type things like "how r u?" or "whas up?" without my brain cramping. Just send me a well thought out e-mail why don't you.

3) Quentin Tarantino - I respect anyone who can make themself one of the most famous directors in the world after being a video store clerk. I respect anyone who can make a whole generation of would-be screenwriters copy Pulp Fiction (which one of my professors said put back movie writing 10 years). But Tarantino's obsessive need to fill his movies with pop culture references, homages to other directors and little or no logical plot while originally fresh now reveals to be little more a guy who has no originality at all and just copies other people. I never became a director because I always felt I lacked the "Vision" thing good directors need. Apparently that never stopped Tarantino, lacking his own ideas he'll just copy (oops, I mean "do a homage") of someone else's.

4) Dance Clubs - When you reach a certain age in the Big City and are old enough to drink (or even before that if you get a fake ID) dance clubs are the perfect place to go. Hip Hop and the latest dance music have replaced disco but the object of getting high (via alcohol, drugs or just natural energy) and "hooking up" with members of the opposite (or same) sex are still there. Me, it just gives me a headache and I avoid those places like the plague. No, I can't dance like they do on MTV but I do a mean Fox Trot as well as the Hustle - how many 20somethings can say that?

5) Rap Music - I'm sorry but the only music I can stand is the kind with an actual melody (and not a sampling of someone else's melody either). Talking fast and rhyming about violence and sex (not love, just sex) and more often than not talking about women in the most demeaning ways or using foul language is not my idea of music - of any kind.

And now I won't pass the baton because I can't figure out who to send it too. My brain stopped working correctly at some point when I was typing #2 on my list.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

No Comment

Post a Comment